Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Environment Conversation

Over break I had a talk concerning the environment with my Nana (grandmother). I first would like to mention that this conversation I had was not necessarily with someone who disagrees with me about the environment, but I still would like to mention it because I find it interesting that considering how different our view are on politics, we both have the same stance on the environment. When I went to visit my Nana, I walked into a cold and dark house. She lives alone and told me that by keeping the temperature down and lights off she is saving money, but more importantly is being environmentally friendly. While this may be a small step, it is something. My conversation with her was not about anything deep - I told her that I felt like I was living somewhat environmentally friendly because I received a lot of kitchen supplies from her son (my uncle) instead of going out and buying everything new myself. This is good for the environment because I am not "consuming" something new, but instead I am reusing something that is old to someone else.

I would say the conversation went quite well. She seemed to understand exactly what I was saying and was able to relate from her own practices. She saves everything (she even returned the old wrapping paper that my dad used on her old birthday present - she thought we could use it again), and so I would say that she is a really good example that people can reuse and recycle a lot of things that we normally do not think to reuse. And that is what I learned - that things I would never think to save can be used multiple times.

No comments: