Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Food

I don’t really think about the environment when I make food choices. After reading The Omnivore’s Dilemma, it was hard to believe that anything but food that is grown locally is good for the environment. Buying food locally isn’t cost effective in my opinion. Instead, I look for value when shopping. I’ll buy food I can stockpile or freeze, such as meats, at Costco, while buying whatever else is convenient on the way home.

I agree with Hilary that, most likely, the food we eat out has the greatest environmental impact. We see the costs that when we make our own food, and accepting it is part of the cooking process. Does the environment even play a part in our decision making when going out? I’m a huge fan of Todai Sushi Buffet...but buffets can’t be good for the environment. That sad, the General Tso’s Chicken from Mr. Chen’s Organic Chinese food is amazingly tasty.

No comments: