Thursday, February 14, 2008

Week 4

I would say the main argument of the article is that, while is it important to make the small changes in our lives, these small changes will not save the environment. If everyone took a 3 minute shower and used reusable bags, this would not save planet Earth. What is important is to make some larger changes- changes that are widely used by individuals, companies, and the government. This argument does make sense in terms of what we have learned. However, because I am just an individual I wonder what I can do beyond saving water and recycling more. Granted, I could have fewer children and make bigger life changes, but I am one person. A lasting positive change will not happen unless MANY people work together, especially if there is cooperation with corporations and the government. Yes, the argument does make me think about affective political action. Unless some political figure "acts" and actually makes a change within the government, my little changes will be all that I believe I can really do. I need a leader to inspire me and to tell me that there is more I can do. I want a leader to make environmentally friendly actions a part of our every day lives.

No comments: