Thursday, February 21, 2008

No Other Option

Since I'm the last person to write in our blog this week, I'll write a little about the reaction I had reading my co-bloggers' posts. From Hilary and Montana's, I got the feeling they were saying that technology will most likely be our saving grace from environmental degradation. I agree in that humanity has evolved to a point where the North (for lack of a better term) relies heavily on technology. Most Northerners use some sort of new technology every day--here I am typing on a computer, which is necessary for my class. What would happen if somebody told us that the only way to save Earth would be to end our advanced lives and go back to living the lifestyle of hunter-gatherers? My guess is that this could never happen. Thus, I also believe it is technology that we must rely on to help our current ecological situation.

Dan also brings in a good point about how, up until now, technology has mostly degraded the environment even more. Personally, I blame a lot of our problems on the Industrial Revolution so many years ago; but, how else were humans to evolve? We are where we are right now because of it and I think that's a good thing. The development of CFCs provides us with another example of how technology has further damaged our planet. The answer to this problem was the creation of international laws about CFC usage. This worked out surprisingly well, but I doubt whether we can rely on international agreements to solve the rest of our environmental problems.

Conclusively, I believe that because of the way our society is set up, we have no option but to rely on technology to save us. Do I think this is the best answer? No, probably not because in creating new technology, we are creating new waste. But until the next Einstein is born, I don't see any other option.

No comments: