Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Cradle to Cradle

I think that the “Cradle to Cradle” vision is on the right track. It was really interesting to read about how recycling may help the environment in some ways, but in other ways it only adds more pollutants and lower quality materials. I completely agree that it is important to be effective over being efficient. It’s amazing how similar the two words are but how different their meanings are. The best part about the book for me was that McDonough and Braungart stress that creativity and imagination are really important with our future in improving the environment. This means to me that saving the environment is not a pain – it does not need to be something “less fun” than what we have now; instead, we can think of new ways to do what we used to do, to use different materials to make what we used to make. Plus, saving the environment can be more convenient and fun – I wish I was at home so I could read the book WHILE swimming in the pool. That’s cool; it is something we would want to be able to do regardless of saving the environment. That is what is so great about their vision – they make saving the environment fun.

No comments: