Thursday, April 17, 2008

McDonough and Braungart's book has been the most hopeful thing we have read this semester. Their ideas are innovative, and they are able to give examples of how they have applied their ideas to provide real-world solutions. I feel like after reading Cradle to Cradle I have a vision of what could be in the future, and for once it is a positive vision.
The one problem I see with the authors' innovations is that unfortunately, I don't see them taking shape any time soon. I think the world today is not ready to completely change the "cradle-to-grave" pattern that is so much inherent in everything we do. For us to make the switch to "cradle-to-cradle" I think civilization as we know it will have to almost decompose so that we can start over again. Hopefully, I will be proved wrong, and maybe as countries are developing, people will begin to emphasize new ways to expand our relationship with the environment.

No comments: