Thursday, April 17, 2008

Cradle to Cradle

I agree with Montana that the beginning of Cradle to Cradle was frustrating. While it was a very effective summary of the environmental problems we have been learning about all semester, it was definitely a downer. The book got much more interesting very quickly. I was very interested when the authors challenged the traditional environmentalists and industrialists attempts at being environmentally friendly. I did like their view of learning from nature (ie. The cherry trees and the ants). I think they are going in the right direction. Drastic change is necessary to even begin solving the environmental problems we face; why shouldn’t the changes be exciting, fun, and innovative?

On a side note, the book's form is definitely a talking point. I had it on the coffee table, and I mentioned to a friend about the plastic involved in making it, which got her interested. She wants to borrow it after I'm done. I think the solutions that the authors propose, and the general idea that we should think outside traditional views, would be effective and many would be eager to adapt to them.

No comments: